Monday, October 15, 2007

la mordida

So, I now have less than a year before I reach my 30s--depressing, I know. I had my 29th birthday a few Saturdays ago, on October 6th. Thanks to those who called and/or sent emails. I didn't really do much to celebrate--didn't tell too many people here in Mexico it was my birthday. But some friends from Church found out and decided we'd celebrate with some cake.


After singing me las maƱanitas, they all chanted, mordida! mordida! mordida!, in unison. They wanted me to take a bite from the cake. Not a bite from a slice of the cake, but a bite from a top corner of it. I suppose it's a tradition. Showing my willingness to concede to their insistent demands, I walked toward the cake to take my mordida. As I approached it, however, I quickly became hesitant noticing several in the group subtly approaching me. Then I remembered something about people getting their face stuffed in the cake on their birthday. I knew they were planning to do the same to me. Pero ni modo, I took my bite anticipating someone would shove the back of my head into the cake. And so it was. Nothing like reliving your first birthday getting cake all over your face. I felt a little better about the ordeal when I saw a video of my nephew Elias and his birthday cake the following day. He seems to have enjoyed it more than I did :-) Below is a shot of me and my cake after the mordida, and after I cleaned my face a bit.

7 comments:

Jensen Family said...

thats so funny!! looks like you had a pretty good bday for not telling anyone!! haha :) sorry if i forgot to send you a birthday email! happy belated bday!!!

Papa Bear said...

Good thing the tradition doesn't include meat pies!
Thank-you for the President Hinckley / Elder Eyring pic. I have it proudly displayed on my desktop.

Erendira en el Desierto said...

Poor cale!

Erendira en el Desierto said...

"poor cake", that's what I meant to say!!

Happy Birthday! I didn't know it was your birthday...

Carol said...

I am glad that you followed the Mexican tradition and got your face shoved in a cake - we will have to do that next year to you incase you are home sick for Mexico :)

ps - your nephew is ADORABLE :)

Carlos said...

Hola Bryant, your blog is absolutely fascinating... from reading about your trip through 8 Mexican states, to reading about your experiences with the Fulbright people (not sure if I spelled that right). Thank you for sharing this with me. And happy belated bd. I didn't know. But next year I won't be late =)

Here are a couple of videos from my last vacation in Mexico City visiting my family. The first one is from the cockpit of the plane (Mexicana Airlines), I was lucky they let me go in. You can see the city and the landing. The second one is in downtown Mexico City, near Bellas Artes, Torre Latino, and the Zocalo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9pfhc__4dA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM6nWJyQLR4

Take care Bryant!

P.S. I also have a blog here, but I don't use it much. If you use MySpace, my ID is http://www.myspace.com/carlin_calderon

Gramma J said...

Thanks for sending the picture, Bryant. Looks like you had a fun birthday! We're excited that you'll be home for Christmas!--Looking forward to seeing you!