Sunday, March 30, 2008

badgers at Tepoztlán

So I am beginning to feel my time running out in Mexico. I only have about two months left, which means for those of you considering a visit would have to come out soon if you'd like me to show you around! A few weeks ago, Taryn decided to take me up on the offer. We had a great time together, and in just four and a half days were able to visit four states, attend the 50th anniversary of the elementary school in Santiago Xalizintla, visit with friends, eat a variety of foods (including dried grasshoppers!), climb a pyramid atop a large mountain, explore the world-famous anthropological museum, and see other notable sights in Mexico City.

The pyramid we climbed is called Tepozteco, which overlooks an enchanting town called Tepoztlán. Below is a shot of the two of us in front of the pyramid, and another from Tepozteco with the town and valley behind us.




While sitting on Tepozteco and just enjoying the view, I told Taryn about the last time I was there in 2004, and some strange looking animals, called tejones, I had seen up there. After descending from the pyramid, there they were again--the creepy Mexican badgers. The man at the snack shop said we could feed them peanuts he had for sale. We thought that sounded fun, so we bought a small package of cacahuates japoneses. Little did we know that once we opened the package the badgers would practically trample us to get their share. I held the package and was freaking out that in any given moment one of the badgers would leap on my chest to get the peanuts, meanwhile Taryn was having a grand time, laughing and taking pictures during my time of crisis. :-)

Below are some of the pics she took.





11 comments:

Unknown said...

I am glad to see that you are still alive :) I was getting worried, since your last post was a year ago! just kidding. I am assuming that you are living it up all while working real hard. I would have been real scared with all of those animals coming at me :) Damond and I had a similar experience with monkeys in Thailand. I think one actually climbed on Damond. If we had mas dinero we would come visit:) Enjoy the rest of your time!

Papa Bear said...

Holy cow, that's alot of tejones! I can see why you were in a time of crisis.
I look forward to seeing you in your "land of enchantment" in a couple of weeks.

Carol said...

good work taryn, i would have laughed and took pictures too! looks like fun :)

Kara said...

You do looked pretty freaked out. thats how Chris gets when we feed bread to the ducks and the geese start heading our way. haha, J/K he's not as much as a nerd as you! Actually, I would have been way freaked out too. ;) I'm glad you and Taryn had a good time! Now you just have to do a post about NYC!

Kara said...

p.s. I do think Mia looks a lot like Cameron... and Ava! And yes, Maddy is getting way too grown up! :..(

Unknown said...

Have I ever told you what a fantastic tour guide I think you are? Thanks again for the fun time in Mexico City. Hopefully you get a few more friends/family members to come out and see you before you come back to AZ, otherwise people will be missing out on a great opportunity. Also, although I was laughing at the badgers climbing all over you, I DID get to experience a little of the same fright as you went off to the bathroom soon after I snapped those shots and they all started closing in on me in hopes of more peanuts which I didn't have. I think I wouldn't mind not seeing those creatures again when I go back to Mexico some day.

Fuller's said...

Those are so fun looking. Glad you guys survived the onslaught of the tejones. Do you think one would fit in your carry on? Let me know. Just kidding. Glad you are enjoying your surroundings.

Unknown said...

I really enjoy looking at your blog but I think that a person with a PhD should know the difference between a badger and a coatimundi--especially if he has a close relationship with a group of them! They're cute, not scary . . . but then I've never been mobbed by a gang of them while they're peanut-crazed.

Lovell Family said...

it's about time you updated this thing....and hey Bryant...nice to see you with a girl...this could be the one.....

Gramma J said...

So, they were coatimundis, not badgers? I didn't think they looked like badgers. I'm soooo glad that you and Taryn had such a wonderful time together and got to do so many cool things in such a short period of time. Send more pics (of NYC too!)

bryant said...

OK, so I didn't think they were badgers either. But up on the mountain they called the little critters "tejones". I later looked up the English translation for this word and "badgers" appeared. So, sorry for the confusion. Let's go with "coatimundis". Whatever they were, they sure gave me the heebie-jeebies.